Custom Search

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Battle of the Brews...The British Isles

This weeks grouping is from our own green and pleasant land, plus Ireland. Wonder if you can guess what will be representing the Emerald Isle? Now as you are all well aware, these shores are not exactly renowned for the production of lager, so I am going to have to go out on a wing and a prayer when describing the local ales and bitters. This is because I am not really a fan. I am going to go for a couple, but if any real ale drinkers out there think I have missed the best one off, feel free to leave a comment.

Guinness
The national drink of Ireland, and with out a doubt the best known porter in the world. Legend has it that it tastes best when drunk on the Emerald Isle, but I think that it has more to do with the fact that elsewhere it is not served correctly. In the bars of Dublin it is poured with love and diligence, usually by bar keeps who take pride in the noble art of their chosen profession. Of course in the UK it is often served by a dim witted 19 year old chubster who thinks nothing of pulling it straight through the pump. Even worse, the landlord who doesn't look after his cellar, the result of which is the "Black Splatter." Many a pristine toilet bowl has been pebble dashed by this curse, which is often compounded by the dodgy kebab eaten on the way home. Gross. Back to the Black Stuff. It is lovely, and that's official. It is the perfect antidote for an overindulgence of lager, due to it's lack of fizz. It has an ABV of 4.3%, although the Foreign Extra Stout is in the 7.5-8% category. And isn't lovely at all.

Timmy Taylors Landlord
As I mentioned above, I am in no way to be mistaken with a real ale enthusiast, and although my first couple of years of beer drinking were as a bitter drinker, it is not my drink of choice. So why Timmy Taylors Landlord? It is the last bitter I tried, about a month ago, and I am reliably informed by folk who no about these things that it is excellent. And it's brewed just up the road in Keighley. Plus the pubs tied to the brewery almost always are of a high standard. It has an ABV of 4.3%, and as bitters go is pretty nice. Much better than Black Sheep, which to me tasted like bog water.

Belhaven Wee Heavy
Representing Scotland is Belhavens Wee Heavy, an ale that is red in colour,but has a nice easy taste. In fact too nice, and it slips down wayyyyyy to easily. It weighs in at a kick ass 6.5%, and as mentioned prior, fair flies down the throat. I missed three trains, lost my ticket, found it, lost it again, missed another train and fell out with a ticket conductor after a lengthy afternoon chugging this stuff. There are a few other brewers who sell there own variety of "Heavy" and they can vary wildly in strength, from 60/- (schilling) at 3.5% up to Wee Heavy, 90/-, which is over 6% ABV. I am returning to Scotland later in the year, and am looking forward to trying a few jars in "Diggers" my old mans favourite pub.

Brains Beer
I have only ever been to Wales once, it was 1980, and I was only thirteen years old. Now back then there was no such thing as Wacky Warehouses, kids were not welcome in pubs and off licence shop keepers asked for proof of age. This meant no beer for Brian. So, in a nut shell, I have never once sampled an alcoholic beverage that is Welsh. I am reliably informed that Brains is rather popular on the Celtic side of Offas Dyke, and I have noticed that they sponsor the Welsh Ruby Union team. I think they might actually do a lager as well, but that's pretty much all I know.

Greene King Indian Pale Ale
More commonly known by the abbreviation IPA, I have included this because it's my favourite style of English beer. I have no particular favourite brand, the reason I picked Greene king is that it was the easiest one to find a picture of, see right. It is not particularly strong, Greene kings weighs in with an ABV of just 3.6%, but it has a fresher taste than bitter. It gets the Indian part of it's name because it was the first beer to be brewed specifically for export, I would guess by the name, to India. It probably won't get any votes, but what the hey.

No comments: