Custom Search

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

That Time Already?

Crikey! Football season seems to come around soon. This upcoming weekend see's the start of the proper football season, as the newly sponsored Npower leagues kick off. This year we start off with an Away day in Shropshire, as the Mighty bantams get their campaign underway with a tough assignment at Shrewsbury. Confindence is high, and after last years slow descent into mediocrity, I am predicting us to be title contenders, and am giving a guarantee of promotion. There, the kiss of death has well and truly been applied. To contend, I reckon Chesterfield and Gillingham will push us hard, with Rotherham United and a Super Barry Conlon inspired Stockport County as dark horses. I can also see Joe Colbeck leading Hereford United on a glorious run into the Conference, joined by a fast failing Southend United.

League One is all about Southampton, according to the experts, and I find it hard to disagree. Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday should be there and abouts, as will the Terriers. Hopefully they will fall short, again, and provide us with the local derby game we have been sorely missing the past few years. The Daggers are a good outside bet, and the MK Dons should contend. At the other end it has to be Rochdale. The bottom tier just doesn't seem right without them. They will be joined by Bournemouth, Hartlepool and Tranmere.

Next up is the Championship, of which Leeds finally managed to rejoin. Of course, being the modest bunch that they are, many are boasting about a run for the play offs. This should provide much entertainment throughout the season, as they battle against an immediate return to whenst they came. Alas, I reckon they should just about steer clear of the drop, their place being taken by Scunthorpe, Watford and a skint Portsmouth. Mind you, I did pick Blackpool for relegation last time around and look what happened to them. At the other end, you have to say that 'Boro look nailed on to claim at the minimum a play off berth, along with the Blades, Forest and Leicester. My pick for the automatic places are Norwich and Ipswich.

So that's my predicament, as the King of the Pixies would say, for the 2010/11 season. Next week I shall give my thoughts on the ponces of the Premier league, in the mean time, i am off to the bookies to see if my crystal ball is spot on, and will earn me a fortune, or more likely consign some more of my hard earned to the share holders of Ladbrokes.

No comments: