Custom Search

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ukranian Brew

A good deed just before Christmas was rewarded. I helped this Ukrainian geezer out, and as an extra thank you, he gave me a bottle of his native beer, which posses a name beyond my comprehension. But he warned me in a chillingly thick Eastern European accent, not unlike Count Dracula's, "Be very careful, it is strong beer!!!" Now we are all aware of the stereotypical Russkie, blasted out of his mind on a local brew made from plutonium, so I stashed it at the back of the fridge, out of sight. But it has been a skinny month work wise, so last Thursday I took the plunge. It was in a litre bottle made of plastic (?), and when I unscrewed the cap, I expected a plume of toxic gas to shoot forth. But it didn't. I tried a mouthful. My eyesight remained unimpaired, and I was still standing in an upright position. It tasted pretty good as well. In fact, it could have done with a bit more kick than it possessed. My conclusion? Ukrainians must think we are bunch of Nancy boy shandy drinkers! It was a pleasant enough brew, a nice taste, but lacking in fizz (that could be down to the fact it was hid behind a jar of beetroot for over two months). I would drink it again, but it doesn't figure amongst my favourite brews, by a long shot. I would give it a just above average 5.5/10.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes i agree, you are a shadipants.
To open a bottle of grog and take a sissy sip, then return to the cooler for another session.
This lets the drinkers of this world down, you should be ashamed.

Yours Pirately
Black Beard