Custom Search

Friday, February 20, 2009

Are Faggots Meatballs??


No, I am not enquiring as to whether the JMF are in fact made out spices and meats, but wondering if an old traditional English dish qualifies, in our Quest for the Holy Meatball. It can be purchased as frozen, and t'internet is full of recipes, but I am loathe to sample them. For a start, this is one of those Ye Olde Engalnd dishes, that more than likely earned this country it's, to my mind unfair, reputation for awful grub. It is made form pig. Not pork or bacon, but pig. It has pigs heart, brain, fat and pig scraps (???) as it's main ingredients, a fact that hardly gets the old taste buds watering. Elster, has tried them a long time ago, and says they are not bad. Her ex-husband loved faggots, pictured to the right, which is why she left him for me. Boom boom.... Anyway, the Elster cannot be considered a connoisseur of the savoury spheres, so I am looking for a hardened M'ball lover, blessed with a stomach of cast iron, to try them out. Tony Helmet, I am looking to you to sacrifice your taste buds for the greater cause.

There is also some news from the once beloved Subway. They are doing the Meatbll marinara at a special £1.79 in aid of Comic Relief. I have no idea if they are still limiting them to three M'balls however, this is a job for Sprocket, as until I have cast iron proof that they have reverted to their former portions, I shall not be darkening there doorstep.

Speaking of Sprocket, he found a Meatball deal in his local freezer food store. Well his missus did anyway. Three Birds Eye Spaghetti and meatballs for £3. He comments "I have to say they are rather tasty and a well above average 8 out of ten, meaty balls(unfortunately non spicy) and a rather tasty tomato based sauce, 6 minutes in the micro from frozen for a quick snack, highly recommended." I thought the 8/10 was a high mark, which he stated was for value. If the Candia is a 9/10, his true rating would be a five. The Quest continues................

No comments: