Custom Search

Monday, February 23, 2009

Beer du Monde: Eiken Artois

Inspired by the Ukrainian brew sampled last week, I have decided on a new thread, Beer du Monde. Geevers gave me the name, and the idea is to sample brews from around the globe, trying to find the ultimate ale. To do this I will run a separate thread, starting soon, Battle of the brews, to determine the champion, as voted by the readers of this humble blog.

But first up, or second if you include the unpronounceable beer rating posted last week, a new lager that caught my eye as I picked up some milk in the local Co-Operative. Yes, I go via the beer aisle. I spotted new addition to the Artois family, Eiken Artois, a lager aged in oak barrels no less. It is not as strong as it's wife beating brother, but at 4.6%, more than just a cooking lager. Four bottles, nicely packaged, as you can see in the photo, cost £2.39, a very reasonable price. On pouring, it has a darker tint than lager, not dissimilar to the colour of your first piss after a heavy session. The taste is smooth, and slightly mellower than most lagers, with a pleasant after taste. Not bad at all, and well above average. In fact, I reckon it would make a decent session beer. With it being new, I can't vouch for it's hangover rating, but all the same, I am going to giver it a respectable 6.5/10.

No comments: