Custom Search

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Capital Meatball

This is a bit after the fact, but a couple of weeks ago when I was in the Big Smoke, aka London, myself and my two accomplices, Shouty and Crespo, were in search of a greasy spoon to soak up the previous nights ale before recommencing our deprivations. I knew of a good one on Great Portland Street, but to my horror it was shut. We walked a bit further up the road, and found a deli that was open, and went in, where I immediately clocked a Sicilian Meatball sandwich. I ordered it, and waited for it to be served. There was plenty of meatballs, all in a ciabbatta style bread, but there was a distinct lack of sauce/gravy, which meant it was a bit on the dry side. It was also lacking in spiciness, but on the whole, a very respectable offering. I awarded it an above average 7/10, but it was not in the same league as our friends at the Candia.



Which brings me nicely on to our good friend Sprocket, another Meatball aficionado. While out on a recent shop, he found a Meatball mix, made by Shwarz, and took one home to try out. He reported back to me the other day that he had made up some meatballs at home, and reckoned he had found the secret of the Candias recipe. No I remain sceptical, in my mind the recipe used in my favourite greasy spoon was born in the foothills of Tuscany, where even today, a wizened old Italian women with a moustache and a mole the size of a tennis ball guards the secret mix of the families Meatball magnificence. So the next time I am out I will have to purchase the afore mentioned packet, and get the Elster to knock some together to check it out fro myself. I remain till then unconvinced.

No comments: