Custom Search

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Whose Booze?



We remain in Belgium for the next entry of "Whose Booze." This time we are sampling a Trappist beer. These beers may only be called after the brewing monks if they are brewed within the walls of a Trappist monastery, and as such there are only seven authentic brews in the world. we shall, in the course of time sample them all. Today it is the turn of Rochefort 8, one of three styles brewed at the abbey that gives it it's name. They are all brewed the same, and are numbered by alcoholic content, the green number eight, pictured above, weighs in with an ABV of 9.2%. Considering it's potency it is quite smooth, with a light fizz, not unlike Guinness export. Compared to industrially produced beers, it is chock full of flavour. And floaty bits. It has a bite, and I wouldn't advise driving after a bottle of the stuff.

So which member of the squad does it most resemble? For a start, the whole concept of a bunch of monks brewing a beer this strong, is slightly insane. Four or five bottles would produce a fair amount of wobbliness, and it strikes as me as being a clever drink, that likes to get drunk. It is a bit difficult to put my finger on who this beer is most like, as to be honest, I think I could align this brew to three or four of the lads, but I keep coming back to one. I think it is because, although it a brash tasting brew, there is still something a little restrained to it. So I am going to go with my gut instinct from the start, and dedicate this beer as being most like the Bender Squad very own palindrome............

Mad Adam

No comments: