Custom Search

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Corona v Becks

Corona

Style-Pale Lager

ABV- 4.6%

Price- In a pub, £2.70 a bottle

Brewed at- somewhere in Mexico




Becks


Style- Lager

ABV- 5%

Price- About £2.50 as bottle, in a bar

Brewed at- Most notably Bremen, Germany

Overview
Two contrasting beers. One a slightly effeminate Mexican beer, commonly served with a slice of fruit in it, and the other, a long time favourite of the Greater European binge drinker. Coroana is very much a warm weather drink, served ice cold, it is far more refreshing than it's Teutonic rival, although I would rather be rodgered Texas style with a prickly cactus, than stick a slice of lime in it. Becks, on the other hand, is very much a no nonsense offering. I like it, but it is no where near being my favourite, as I find it a bit dry for my liking. It was originally advertised as only being brewed in Bremen, but since being acquired by the InBev conglomerate, it is now manufactured at several locations. i am pretty sure, however, that all Corona is made in Mexico, although I could be well wide of the mark.

Odds
Becks was the only brand to have two separate varieties make the cut, and is very popular. But Corona also has it's affectionados, and garnered the highest amount of votes, along with Heineken, in the group stages. I have called both of the previous two play offs wrong, so I am going to sit firmly on the fence this time.

No comments: