Custom Search

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Holy Shit!

Belgian beer tasting is a fine way to spend an afternoon. Although on a Sunday with Shouty, may not have been the wisest day to pick. But what ya gonna do? It was sunny, everyone was off, and I had a fridge full (and garage full) of Belgian, French and even Luxembourger beers. With most folk working the next day, it was a a very laid back affair. Until there was only me and Shouty left, along with a six bottle case of Trappist beers. There are only seven beers that can be called Authentic Trappist, as they have to be brewed within the walls of a Trappist monastery, and it just so happens six of 'em are in Belgium. And we had a bottle from everyone. Now bear in mind, that we had already chugged our way through several strong beers, (Duvel, Chouffe, Kwak, and Chimay Rouge) before we started on these, which in all fairness may not have been the most sensible of things to do, as the weakest offering weighed in at 6% (Orval) and peaked at 9.2% (Rochefort). It brought the night to a hazy end for moi, although the Shoutster took himself off to the Black Bull for a night cap before going home. That's what makes him the drinking Champion of Europe I suppose. All I know was that I was roused the next morning by my gaffer texting me to get out of bed, before undertaking one of the longer days of my life. You'd think at 42 I would have learned by now......

No comments: