Custom Search

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Babel-ford

Did something this weekend that I have not done in forever. Went shopping in Bradford town centre. I have visited the area plenty whilst popped up, but this was the first time sober, and on a Saturday afternoon. The first thing that I noticed was I had been walking around for about ten minutes before I heard anybody speak English. Now I don't want to come across as some Little Englander who thinks all the foreigners should be sent home. On the contrary. Gave the place a foreign feel, and if it weren't for our international comrades, the place would have seemed all the grimmer. Can there be a City in the country with more empty shops and retail outlets? (Have just googled this question. Bradford lies second to Wolverhampton, according to figures published in the Guardian) The only place that looked busy was the Arndale Centre, which is a horrible concrete bunker, that had the heating turned up way to high. There were a couple glimmers of hope. The Commercial looked like it was in the middle of getting a refurb, although there was not a whole load of action going on.

"But what made you visit your home town centre?" I hear you ask. Ostensibly it was to get my daughter a new mobile phone, but there was an ulterior motive. A few eeks back, on our Ides of March bender, I made a comment on how difficult it was to find a plain jumper. My smart arse mates found this most amusing, and told me to get down to Greenwoods menswear in town. Cheeky Bastards. I did go in, and I ain't that old yet......

No comments: