Custom Search

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Salzburg Concluded

Guten Abend, I figured I'd wrap up my trip to Salzburg, as Ike isn't pestering me to play games on the PC. First off the beer. It was good. Not as many German brands as you would expect, the local brew was called Steigel, and was well nice. For a third of a litre glass it ran at about two euros a pop, but was served cold and slid down beautifully. They also did a dark bock style beer, and a weissbeir, although I didn't get a chance to try either. The other predominate lager was Trummer, which I got shit faced on when the clock turned twelve to signal the day of my fortieth birthday. It was a little lighter than the Steigel, but it flew down ones throat. Of course when Bepe and Pepe, the Italian bartenders found out it was my birthday, I was also plied with all kinds of concoctions, including Bushmills single malt, some kind of local schnapps and some weird Italian shit that blew my socks off. After staggering back to my hotel something happened to me that I believed had been left back in my late teens. Room Spin!! At 40 years of age the ceiling was whizzing out of control, and even though I tried the hanging the foot out of the bed and putting on the floor technique, it was a dash to drive the porcelain bus. I was hangover free the next morning, and although was a little bit vacant till around lunchtime, in the early evening I was ready to try some more local beers.
The next beer I decided to try was a local variety of King Daves favourite brew, the mighty weissbier. We found a proper locals beer hall to eat and I took the plunge. Big Frank tried a local special beer that they had a special offer on. It tasted awful, and I checked the beer menu to find out that it was just under 16% alcohol content. The weiss bier that came was 3.30 euro for a lire glass, just under a pint I believe, cold and served by a busty Austrian wench wearing some traditional Alpine clobber. And it was called Eidelweiss. I kid you not. It was slightly sweet, not as much as Hoegarden, but not as dry as Erdinger, which I slightly prefer. It passed the first pint test, which means I had another one. On the whole, I would highly recommend Salzburg as a bender destination, but I think other Austrian towns might be a bit receptive to our brand of tourism, as it is a bit on the conservative side. For starters there was only one lap dance joint, and if there was a night club I didn't spot it. It would be funny though to watch a bunch of Jagermistered geezers try to ice skate (they sell the stuff everywhere). Thoughts now turn towards Dusseldorf in April, and keep checking in as I am in the middle of putting together a bender road trip for next September. Auf Weidersehn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it only me, or does the dude in the middle look like Rafa Benitez (without the goatee)??!!

Anonymous said...

I thought the one on the end was Oberon king of the pixies till I put my specs on .It was then I realised that san hasnt been that slim for quite some years
BTW happy birthday Britser your nearly as old as me again .