Custom Search

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Bantams 2 Millers 1

First off, a few words for Dean Richards. I am not the sentimental type, and he played for the Bantams while I was more interested in partying all weekend, and chasing skirt. In fact, I am not sure I ever saw him play in Claret and Amber. But 36 years old is no age, and for what it's worth, my deepest sympathies go to his family.

Now I wasn't going to bother posting much more concerning the Bantams remaining games, but there has been some changes, and I thought it worthwhile to update. First up, we have a new interim manager. I, along with many others, had high hopes when the announcement was made last year, that Peter Taylor would be taking charge. The McCall experiment had run it's course, and with Mr Taylors previous record, it seemed to all that a playoff place was all but a certainty. But we are Bradford City, and it never worked. There were a few good displays, but the majority were turgid, defensive showings, that are fine when you are grinding out results, but disaster when you are losing. In the end it was a relief to see the club and manager part ways. But his interim replacement was a surprise. As a player, he was a City legend, as a manager one of our greatest antogonisers. Peter jackson does have some pedigree at this level, but his time as boss of the Terriers has left a bad taste with many supporters. So his first home game was going to interesting come what may.

And it was. The lads looked a lot more confident, and comfortable with the 4-4-2 system. Rotherham were tough opponents, but it was good to see us looking to win, rather than avoid defeat. Especially when we went in front. Mr Taylors response would have been to fall back and play on the break, but Jacko kept the accelerator down. Jake Speight, who had failed to impress under Taylor, looked well lively, and the partnership he forged with Hanson looks promising. However, he needs to score, as he looked to be trying a little too hard. I think once he gets one, a few will flow. The Millers, who are looking for a promotion slot, equalised just prior to the interval, but instead of losing heart, the team looked up to the task. I don't rate him much as a player, but Flynn must take some credit, as he does play the captain role well. The winner was dubious to say the least. Adeyami smashed a pile driver off the underside off the bar, and the linesman gave it. How he could tell at that speed was beyond me, but we have been due some luck, and the three points will help the survival cause, as well as Jacksons, no end.

Kev watch- A tough one. I would have been more happy watching the Arsenal-Barcelona match, but he dragged me down the Parade instead. So I did see the game, and a win. But it was butt ass cold, and the game will probably prove to be pretty pointless. I think I will split it down the middle. 5/10

No comments: