Custom Search

Monday, August 10, 2009

Predictions- Better Late than Never

I was hoping to do my annual pre-season football predictions before the season started, (I mean the real season, not the one featuring overpaid foreign ponce's throwing themselves to the ground every two minutes) but a retinal migraine on the first night, and a session in the pub the following afternoon, means I am well late. The retinal migraine (not rectal, smart arses) was weird. The Elster was the one who told me I had one. It's a bit like tripping, but only in one eye, which makes the other hurt like a sun of a bitch. As for the afternoon at the Fleece, I was catching zzzz's in no time once I hit the sofa. Beer, Sun and loads of grub kinda does that to a fella of my age.

Onto the predictions for the season, starting in League Two. I was going to peg Notts County (honest!) even before they trounced my beloved Bantams. They have brass, and in this league it goes a looooong way. I fear the McCall experiment is doomed to end in yet another season of mediocrity. I reckon the best that can be hoped for is the play-offs. Rochdale and Bury will be there or abouts, as will a Baz Conlon inspired Grimsby Town. In League One I always predict Leeds to go up, and they always fail, so I am predicting them to go up as champs. Brentford will put up a good showing, and I reckon Sothampton, even with a ten point deduction, and Charlton will run them close.

In the championship, you have to say West Brom, with the Blades and Boro not far behind. A surprise team always seems to sneak in there and this time I like the look of Derby County. Blackpool and Scunny look most likely to drop down, but am I alone in wondering if the "Toon" might join them? They have a look of Leeds about them if you ask me.

So onto the foreign ponces, and the repetitively dull premier league. Will the "Big Four" be broken? I doubt it. Manchester City look the most likely, but I think they lack the legs, at the moment. I am picking them to win the FA Cup. Going down are Pompey, Bolton and Hull. Bolton may just possibly the most boring team in the whole country, and am I alone in wanting to see that smug twat Phil Brown take a tumble? I think not.

For those of you with a passing interest in my favourite European team, Der Lowen of TSV 1860, there have been a whopping ten new signings, of which six are a total mystery to me. Gabor Kiraly in nets, and an American international are amongst the ten, so I am hoping for a big improvement on last seasons flirting with relegation. Top six for sure, and with a bit of luck, a return to the top tier of German football.

Top all this off with an imminent World Cup, in which England are virtually guaranteed to qualify for, and the next twelve months promises to be a football fiesta. As the season progresses, there will once again be an ongoing match report of the trials and tribulations of the Mighty bantams, and a return of the "Away Days" thread. For those of you yet to enter the annual "Bendership League" dream team, pull your finger out, as time is running out.

BRING ON THE FOOTIE!!

No comments: