Custom Search

Friday, June 20, 2008

In Search of the Holy Meatball

While I was away in the USA, my quest for the Holy Meatball (the best meatball in the world) I sampled several varieties, some good, some not so good. First the not so good, and I am finding something of a trend on this one. Went to a place called Carmie's, which is affiliated with a big hotel chain, and it has to be said it was the worst one of my journey. The trend I have associated this with, is corporate style fake Italian diners, a la Frankie and Benny's, which always seem to be pre frozen taste free offerings that should be avoided. An abomination, in fact, to the good name of Meatballs everywhere. The second one I tried was a small family run local Italian in Tiffin, called Reino's. They did Meatballs with just about everything. They did a lasagna stuffed with them (superb), a huge submarine sandwich, dripping with cheese and marinara sauce (excellent) and finally something called a meatball rollover, which is like a calzone, with a huge M'ball in the middle. It was beautiful, but massive. Even the Mighty Frankster struggled to finish it. These were my M'balls of choice on this visit. I tried one a TJ Willies, also in the vast metropolis of Tiffin, which was served with spaghetti bgolognese, and a worthy effort it was, but none of them, not even Reino's could match up to the spicy Meatball served up at the Cafe Candia on Legrams Lane in Bradford. Apart from Carmies, they were all good, neigh great efforts for sure. They were moist, a good size, and extremely tasty, but they lacked that little spicy kick you get in the Candia. In fact I am off for some tonight, before I make my grand return to the George. Please feel free to help me in the quest for my own personal Holy Grail, and I will accept any recommendations gratefully. In fact I am even considering starting up a whole new separate blog dedicated to scrummy deliciousness of the spherical pork and beef, covered in gooey cheese and smothered in marinara sauce goodness that is the Mighty M'ball!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ital's mb's rock! try em!