Custom Search

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Euro 2008 Final

Well the Krauts did their usual last gasp thing and upset a surprisingly good Turkish tea, as expected. I still think the Germans are over rated, but you can't argue with their knack of reaching the last rounds of major tournaments. The other semi final saw the Spaniards put in a stellar second half display to see of the Russkies. I can't believe Fabregas doesn't make the starting line up, once he came on he seemed to transform an out of sorts Spain team. I thought they might have peaked, and after they demolished the Dutch, I strongly fancied the ex commies to win. Shows how much I know. Still the second half performance by the Spaniards was one of the best I have seen at international level for many a year. If they can reproduce that form, they should beat an ordinary German team hands down. I still think our Teutonic friends will find a way, but I will be rooting for the boys from the Iberian peninsula. I am having a tenner on a 3-1 Spanish victory.

So the Euros are nearly complete, and although they were good, the lack of England seriously dented my enthusiasm, although I seem to be in a minority who think they wouldn't have shamed themselves (if that arsehole McLaren wasn't in charge, I might add). Apart from Spain, and in the early rounds Holland and Croatia, I think the quality of football has been pretty mediocre. The French were dire, the Turks lucky, Italians boring and the Germans average. Compared to championships of the past, this and the last two World Cups have been pretty shit. Don't agree? Try and think of a memorable match that matches what is seen in the Champions League every year. Is there anybody out there who seriously thinks any of the teams in Austria/Switzerland would beat Man Utd or Inter, or even any of the top twenty teams in Europe? Back to England. I have no fear that we will qualify for 2010, and if we can get rid of our inferiority complex when we play the likes of Portugal and Brazil, I think we can win it. Why not? Look at the Italians, current World Cup holders. Who would you have out of their side in an England team? Bufon, for sure, perhaps Pirlo, but then who? Hopefully Capello can whip our prima donnas into shape.

No comments: