Custom Search

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Away Days

Since I put McOdyssey on a temporary sabbatical, as I search the seven seas for more photo ops, I have been struggling to think up a new thread to occupy Tuesdays. The "I Miss" series was short lived, as it turned out I didn't miss as much about the old days as I thought, and it died on it's arse. So I have come up with "Away Days", in which I will spout forth on the various sporting stadia across the globe that I have had the fortune to visit, and give an unbiased verdict on whether they rate as;
  • Mount Olympus-Worthy of the Gods themselves
  • Coliseum-A venue fit for legends
  • Field of Dreams-Good but not great
  • Park Pitch-Below Average
  • Garden Shed-Fit for grazing cattle
Now that the ratings are explained, I have decided to start at a surprising venue. Home of Scunthorpe United, Glanford Park. It is a pokey little hole situated on a retail park on the outskirts of town. The only place to get a pint is a god awful Tom Cobleigh style family pub, that fills up quick. Forget about grabbing a couple of beers in town prior to kick off, as over zealous coppers force you straight from the train on to double deck buses that have been in service from sometime around 1976. The horror continues once inside the ground, as we found to our amazment that not only did they not serve beer to away fans, but there were no pies either, a cardinal sin in my book. The views are OK, but the atmosphere is timid to say the least. The local fans seem friendly enough, more than can be said of the local plod, who seemed to think the Boy Dazzler was some undercover hooligan, and tried to force him back on the bus into town. Quick thinking by Crespo saw us escape the rounding up of other City fans, and we headed into the town centre in search of beer. Alas, this proved to be as bland as the ground itself, and the train home couldn't arrive fast enough. I would consider visiting this ground again, if forced at gun point.



Statistics
  • Capacity-9,183, 83rd largest in English Football
  • Concessions-No Beer, No Pies, No Idea
  • Built-1988
  • Did You Know?- Was the first new football ground to be built after the end of World War Two
  • Visited By-Shouty, Euro Bri, Crespo, The Boy Dazzler and Meatball II
  • Rating-Garden Shed, possibly the dullest stadium the world.

No comments: